With the mood of the festive wintry season with breads and nut butters, I have been experimenting with protein powders and making protein breads so I can control the ingredients and sweetness. As you know I tend to find the easiest way in my creations, this nourishing banana bread with figs and walnuts is soft and moist and protein packed and only takes 15 min to make and 45min to bake!
Figs contain a wealth of beneficial nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, sodium, potassium and chlorine and walnuts helps reduce inflammation and improve the composition of blood fats. It is also packed with antioxidant properties, Omega-3s, Vitamin E and many other minerals and nutrients.
2 tablespoons Ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons Water
Flour Mix *You can also use 90g Gluten Free all purpose flour with 30g Vegan Protein Powder*
50g Buckwheat Flour
20g Chickpea Flour
20g Chestnut Flour
30g Purple Balance Vegan Omega Protein Powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Ripe Bananas
105g Coconut oil
30g Coconut Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 Dried Figs, chopped
Handful of Walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C. And line a 6×9 inch baking tin with parchment paper or two 5 x 2.5 inch loaf pans.
2. In a small bowl, mix ground flax seeds with warm water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, smash the bananas (or puree in a food processor). Add in the coconut sugar, Flax Egg, vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Mix in your Flour Mix and baking soda until it is a smooth consistency. It should be quite thick
5. Fold in your chopped figs and chopped walnuts. Pour into the baking dish and smooth the top.
6. Bake at 180C for about 45 minutes or until it darkens and looks set on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out dry. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before cutting into it – this is hardest part because the aroma is absolutely divine!
Enjoy it with nut butters and fresh fruits! To store, place the loaf in an air tight container or zip lock bag.