Soups are one of my staple foods during the colder months and as a sweet potato lover, I had to make it into a warming soup! I have added ginger for a kick and it also boost immunity….omnomnomnommm. It’s even making me hungry just by looking at the photos! You can also make a big batch and store it in your fridge and warm it up over the hob.
2 tsp Coconut Oil
3 tbsp Fresh Ginger, peeled or grated
1 tsp of Garam Masala Spice Mix
1 Large Sweet Potato, Peeled and Cubed
230-250ml of Vegetable Broth or Water
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
60ml of Coconut Milk or Soy Milk
1/4 of a Lime, zest and juice (optional)
Fresh Basil or Mint, chopped
1. Saute your Fresh Ginger and Spice mix with Coconut Oil in a saucepan for 5 minutes to bring the flavours out. Set Aside.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil with your cubed sweet potatoes and nutmeg. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer it for 20 minutes.
3. Let it cool for a few minutes and then pour your content from the pot in a food processor or blender and let it blend until it becomes thick sweet potato puree.
4. With a medium heat over your stove, scoop the sweet potato puree out and into the saucepan of ginger and spice mix and gradually stir in your choice of milk. Coconut milk has a more fragrant taste but Soy milk works very well. If you want a bit of a refreshing taste, add in your lime juice and zest.
5. Keep stirring until your soup is well combined and it should bubble slightly.
6. Pour your warming soup in a bowl, garnish with some basil or mint.