I finally made my own almond butter and I have been experimenting with it lately and trying out different ways to make energy bars and looking into ways without using dates or protein powder. I made a batch using matcha powder, but it needed some refinements. So I tried using Cacao Powder and it was a delicious success!
Cacao is a SUPER FOOD, it is the raw, unprocessed form of chocolate.! In its raw state, it has more than 300 nutritional compounds and believe it not, it is one of the richest sources of antioxidants of any food on the planet! Not only it is high in antioxidant properties, it is a good source of protein and fiber, full of vitamins and minerals and also essential heart-healthy fats! Raw chocolate can actually improve digestion, enhance physical and mental well-being and lower blood pressure and enhance circulation by promoting dilation, strength, and health of blood vessels.
These chocolate bites are a the perfect guilt free snack because they are made with only 5 healthy ingredients. They are high in protein and filled with good fats. Not to mention, they are Gluten free, Dairy free and most of all…Guilt free! They are also not very sweet either, perfect for dark chocolate lovers.
120g Almond Butter
30g Desiccated Coconut
25g Raw Cacao Powder
3 Tbsp Agave Nectar or Honey or Maple Syrup
1 – 2 Tbsp of Flaxseed (optional)
Handful of Pistachio, chopped
Line a small container with baking paper. I used a 15cm x 8.5cm container and the chocolate bar would have a thickness of 1.5cm.
1. Roughly chop up your pistachios and set them aside
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the desiccated coconut and cacao powder together
3. Gradually add in your almond butter to the powder mixture and mix until it is well combined. It should be quite thick and doughy
4. Have a taste, if it is too bitter for you, add in your agave nectar or honey to your desired sweetness. If you would like a bit of a crunch in your bar, you can add in your chopped pistachios here.
5. Scoop the mixture into the lined container and press down the mixture with the back of a spoon or your hands until it is spread evenly
6. Sprinkle more chopped pistachio over the chocolate bar, pressing down the bigger pieces into the bar
7. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until the bars are set (somewhat hard to touch)
Soft, chewy with a crunch from the pistachios….it’s so heavenly! As it quite bitter from the cacao, like dark chocolate, it can also curb your hunger.